Are you a French expat looking to stay in London? Whether you’re moving permanently to live in London, or you’re only visiting for a couple of weeks, going to any new country can be tricky and overwhelming. We understand, and want to provide you with some tips and tricks on how to feel at home in London as soon as you land.
Things to do before you travel
- Make sure you’ve raised enough money and that you’ve finalised your travel budget.
- Brainstorm ideas of ways you can make money during your stay if need be, or how you’re going to get a job if you’re planning to stay in London on a long-term basis.
- Check that your Passport is still valid and hasn’t expired and get all your visas sorted.
- Pre-plan where you’re going to stay as soon as you land in the country. Do you have friends you can stay with? Do you need a hotel?
- If you are planning to stay at a hotel, choose one that makes you feel comfortable. Surround yourself with luxury – you’ve been travelling and you want a nice cozy home to welcome you to London! Staying at one of the many 5 star hotels in London is a great way to start your London adventure.
- Ask all your friends whether they know anyone who lives in London. Communicate with your new London pen pals before you travel and organize a time to meet up with them after you land. Being lonely in a big new city is scary, but it’s easy making friends when you reach out.
Things to do when immediately you land in London
- Buy an Oyster card. An Oyster Card is a pay-as-you-go travel card that you use to travel on London tubes, trains and buses. It’s cheaper than buying individual train tickets or Day Travel Cards.
- Download a Travel Maps app on your phone. This will help direct you through London’s busy travel networks and stop you from getting lost.
- Plan your travel from the plane/train to your hotel. Do you need to get to your new home via the tube? Or the bus? If you have a lot of luggage with you, you may have to organize a black cab.
- Change all the money you need from Euros into Great British Pounds at a nearby currency-exchange bureau.
Things to do if you’re staying short-term in London
- Go on a bus-tour of the city. These tours are a great way to get to know London. You get to see all of London’s major attractions and learn about the history of the place. It’s also just a great way for you to get your bearings.
- Spend a day at the British Museum and take advantage of all the free museums that London has to offer.
- Go and see Big Ben and the houses and parliament.
- Visit Trafalgar Square at night time. Nelson’s Column is lit up beautifully, making it is truly beautiful a sight to behold
- If you’re looking for gorgeous French cuisine, The Little French Restaurant is a cute, down-to-earth restaurant located in Kensington. The food is divine, as are the surroundings.
- If you’re NOT looking for gorgeous French cuisine shake it up a little with a visit to Shoreditch’s Cereal Killer Café. Here you can try over 120 types of cereal!
- Visit Westfield mega-mall in West London. With over 350 outlets available for you to choose from, this is the perfect destination to indulge in a magnificent shopping spree.
Things to do if you’re moving long-term to London
- Take up a class or a course in something. If you’re planning to stay in London for a long time, go to some workshops or a take up a new hobby. It will not only broaden your academic horizons, but it is also a great way to make new friends with similar interests.
- Buy a National Art Pass. This pass will give you free entry to over 240 museums, for only 65 GBP a year!
- Go on day-trips outside London. Places such as Stone Henge, Cambridge, Bristol and Oxford are only a couple of hours away. If you have the time, we’d highly recommend having a weekend in the seaside town of Cornwall or visiting Edinburgh during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival for some great comedy and theatre.
- Buy a monthly London Travel Card. This will save you money in the long run, and you will never have to worry about spending too much cash on travel again.
- Buy early-bird tickets for all the great London events that happen throughout the year. If you know that you’ll be in London 6 months from now, buy those tickets for that West-End play you want to see, or a pass to that weekend long music festival your desperate to go to. Buying tickets as soon as possible is the best way to get cheap tickets.
Connect with people with the help InterNations
Social media platforms are a great way to meet and network with new people. What if there was a website dedicated to helping international expats find each other in a new city?
Welcome to InterNations.
InterNations is a social networking website like no other. If you’re a French expat looking for other expats to meet up with or ask advice from, the networking website InterNations is a great place to start. This platform helps you easily connect with other expats in London with just the click of a button.
It is not only a fantastic networking platform, it is also a directory of international events happening throughout London and offers extensive guides on how to live in London, how to move to London, how to travel around London and so forth. This is the perfect website to research everything you need to know about London life.
It has everything you need! It even has advice on how to decipher all the English regional dialects you may find in London! Learn about English taxes, visas and houses with the help of InterNations.
internations.org is a great place for expats of any nationality to connect and meet up!
Perfect hotel for Your London Stay
It’s hard to find a hotel that has it all, but we’ve got the perfect place for you: welcome to The Montcalm London Royal House, your answer to the perfect London hotel.
The Montcalm London Royal House offers guests with sleek exteriors, nearby spa facilities and pure effortless luxury. Relax and rejuvenate in our plush rooms before exploring the sights and sounds of London’s famous attractions that are all just a stone’s throw away from your room. What more could you ask for?
The Montcalm London Royal House is a hotel with personality, authenticity and soul. During your next visit to London, why not take advantage of the London hotels Special Offers the Montcalm has available.
The Montcalm London Royal House Offers:
Curious to know what our exclusive offers are? We don’t blame you. Our exciting offers treat guests to bonus points and discounted room rates. We're constantly striving to bring our members more. Our Sunday Offer means that you could DOUBLE your points by staying at The Montcalm London Royal House on a Sunday! And that’s only the start, check out The Montcalm London Royal House for more information on our hotel offers, deals, incredible packages and hotel booking engine. We look forward to seeing you at The Montcalm London Royal House for your London visit.